Friday, December 7, 2012

Holiday energy saving, a family affair...

With the holidays fast approaching, many of us are trying to decorate our home to receive family and friends. Not only are we putting up holiday decorations to get into the spirit, but many of us are also spending a lot of time in the kitchen. I know that for my family, baking is part of the holiday tradition and with a wedding quickly approaching there is even more excitement. Last night we made brownies and cookies to put into the freezer for the big events in the coming weeks and tonight we are working on my award winning cheesecake (I cannot share my recipe for the most excellent cheesecake but trust me…Y.U.M.). 

With all this hustle and bustle in the kitchen it occurred to me that this could be a great teaching opportunity and a chance to refresh with my family why I feel so strongly about conservation and how every action we make will have lasting effects on our environment in the future. 


I've been able to enjoy the company of my daughters and share some environmental lessons as well.We decided to change out the light bulbs and seal the doors and windows before the cold set in--just like the Department of Energy recommends--, and boy can we tell the difference. With the oven on, we are forced to open windows to bring in some cool air. Nice problem to have at this time of year, but also because I refuse to use the heater until it is really cold! I’m always telling the kids to put on a sweatshirt or grab a blanket, but as an added bonus my utility bill has dropped about $300 a month by making a small investment in some minor fixes to the house like weather stripping and caulking. I also reduced the temperature on the water heater and got rid of the old refrigerator that was only holding water and other drinks (and the occasional left over from diner).

So, after all that, I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a happy holiday. Remember to have a grateful spirit and enjoy your family this holiday season; I know I will be living with a grateful spirit this year and spending the extra $$$ I don't have to give to my energy provider.

For more tips on mistakes to avoid when winterizing and weatherizing your home visit our new friends at eZing Inc


photo credit: alaczek via photopin cc

photo credit: Stuck in Customs via photopin cc














No comments: